How You Can Participate in Day of Silence 2018
This year’s Day of Silence is taking place on April 27th.
"Every year hundreds of thousands of students across the world take a vow of silence on a Friday in April. This quiet but powerful, student-led action raises awareness about the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination." - KW Counselling Services
Fairy Tales provides a safe space for the LGBTQ2+ community, and we offer a platform for stifled queer voices.
4 in 5 LGBTQ students don’t feel positively represented in their school curriculum, 9 in 10 experience verbal harassment, and almost a third miss school for feeling unsafe. Unfortunately, this type of abuse and harassment continues in the workplace. It’s time to break the negative cycle.
Adults, educators, and students alike can participate in Day of Silence by:
- Taking a vow of silence for the entire day, whether at school or the workplace.
- Studying your rights as a student, and by organizing a Day of Silence event in your school.
- Get permission to set up a Day of Silence table in your school hallway. Find powerful ways to educate fellow students about this important issue.
- Observe 3 minutes of community silence at 3 pm ET.
- Hold a silent reflection carousel where students and educators are encouraged to ask questions about LGBTQI+ issues.
- Organize a Breaking the Silence party at the end of the school day.
Education, cooperation, and solidarity are tools used to break down barriers between students, educators, and individuals in the workplace and at school. Until LGBTQ2+ students feel safe in school and within their communities, it is imperative to actively participate in Day of Silence.
How are you planning to contribute your time to Day of Silence? Comment below:
Our OUTReels program is a FREE diversity education program. We bring discussions about: bullying, Queer history, LGBT athletes, homosexuality and faith, and more to your community, work, or educational facility. Contact James Demers: email@example.com for more information!