International Transgender Day of Visibility: A Look Back at Our Favourite Trans Moments of 2017
March 31 is International Transgender Day of Visibility (TDOV), a lively and energetic day where anyone can show support for the trans community. “It aims to bring attention to the accomplishments of trans people around the globe while fighting cissexism and transphobia by spreading knowledge of the trans community. This is not a day for mourning; this is a day for empowerment!
At Fairy Tales, we have always opened our doors and hearts to the trans community. We provide a space for trans individuals to achieve their goals, and reach for the stars!
Here are our favourite trans moments from this past year:
- Danica Roem becomes Virginia’s first openly Transgender Legislator, defeating a man who was behind an anti-Trans Bathroom Bill!
- MTV VMA Awards invited Transgender Military Members to attend the event and walk the signature blue carpet, alongside the president of GLAAD.
- Abigail Brady, a transgender woman, accepted an Academy Plaque for her part in developing the Nuke system at the SciTech Awards.
- A transgender teenager in Australia led a crusade to end discriminatory legal barriers and won! It was decided that, “young transgender people will no longer have to go through the nation’s Family Court to access hormone treatment.”
- Transgender rights advocate Dr. Lorne Warneke was honoured with University of Alberta’s Distinguished Alumni Award.
Join the party on Facebook, and be on the lookout for local events in your area! What were your favourite transgender moments or accomplishments from this past year?